|Home Page||Root Page||Census Records||GRO Records||Parish Records||Names Directory|
Almost all the information on this page was kindly supplied by Susan Hogger-Chamberlain and by Jane Baxter, the Local Studies Librarian at Richmond Library.
Samuel Peter (1) Hogger was born in 1858 to parents Peter (5) Hogger and his wife Miriam (nee) Benny. The birth certificate [Birth Index: Lambeth 1d 335, 1859 (March)] states that he was born on December 21st 1858 at 12, Bird Street in Lambeth, Surrey. His father, occupied as a shoemaker, was the informant and the birth was registered on January 27th 1859.
The 1861 Census finds him at age "2" living with his parents in King Street, Newington St. Mary in Surrey.
The 1871 Census finds him at age "12" in the household of his uncle John (3) in Bury Road, Thorpe Morieux.
The 1881 Census finds him at age "22" lodging at Sarre House in Barnes, Surrey in the household of a blind plasterer John Crothall. He was occupied as a wheelwright.
In 1882 he married Sarah (nee) Cousens [Marriage Index: Cosford 4a 999, 1882 (Dec)]. They married at Brent Eleigh on October 31st 1882; he was occupied as a wheelwright and cited his place of residence as Barnes; the witnesses were John Cousins [sic] and Theresa Elliston [PR: Cosford DB]. Sarah was christened at Brent Eleigh on March 7th 1858. She was a niece of Thomas Cousens who married Mary Ann (1) Hogger - Samuel Peter (1)'s second cousin - at Brent Eleigh in 1858.
In 1883 he was still in Barnes when his child William Samuel (1) was born.
Local directories show that in 1886 he was living variously at 1, Eleanor Terrace and at Railway Side, both off White Hart Lane near the border of Mortlake with Barnes; when at Railway Side he was apparently working in partnership with someone named Adams; in the period 1887-91 he was living at 1, Priest's Bridge in Mortlake. Priest's Bridge consisted then of an obtuse-angled corner in Upper Richmond Road.
The 1891 Census finds him at age "31" living at 1, Priest's Bridge with his wife and son; boarding with them was his brother James (8).
The 1901 Census finds the family living at Nos. 1 and 2, Priest's Bridge where he was occupied as a coach builder and wheelwright. By this time his cousin Jesse (2) - also a wheelwright - was likewise living in Mortlake and was possibly working with him.
The local street, residential and commercial directories show that he remained in the vicinity of Priest's Bridge until at least 1934. His occupation was cited repeatedly as wheelwright until 1919. In the meantime, however, he had also been occupied with a motor works - possibly in his ownership - since at least as far back as 1913. During the period 1913-1918 he also ran a farrier's business.
His residential and business addresses appear to have varied somewhat over this period. In 1902 he was using Nos. 1 and 2, Priest's Bridge, but by 1913 he had taken over premises opposite to them, besides running his farrier's business at Nos. 84 and 86, Sheen Lane. By 1914 his residential address had become 32, Upper Richmond Road, next door to the motor works. The relationships between this address and the Priest's Bridge addresses have not yet been clarified. They may have been one and the same, in consequence of evolving street-numbering schemes. In 1929 the motor works was at Nos. 12 and 14, Priest's Bridge, but during 1932-33 it was at Nos. 34 and 36, after which it may have closed down. His residential address during 1932-34 was at No. 40. Again, some or all of these address changes may have reflected only street renumberings rather than physical relocations. By 1935, when he was aged about 76, he had moved to 13, Grosvenor Gardens, just a few hundred yards west of Priest's Bridge.
A photograph from the 1920s depicts a business premises - probably at Nos. 1 and 2 Priest's Bridge - named "S. Hogger Coachbuilder", and a street sign appearing to say "Hogger's Corner". The existence of a former wheelwright's business in this part of London bearing the latter name as early as the 1920s is mentioned in Small Worlds [SW], probably the result of its author having paid a visit to his grandfather Benjamin (1) Hogger in that decade. Other photographs dated 1929 depict "Hogger's Corner, Mortlake". From these it appears that a new stretch of road had been built so as to bypass the Priest's Bridge corner thereby straightening-out the western section of Upper Richmond Road.
Two images of Hogger's Corner can be seen on this page.
It is known that a coach-building business had existed at 1, Priest's Bridge before Samuel Peter (1) arrived in the area - the 1881 Census shows the property being occupied by the family of a William Full who was born at Bramford in Suffolk and whose occupation was "Coachmaker Master".
Sarah died aged "70" in 1927 [Death Index: Richmond, S. 2a 635, 1927 (Dec)]. Samuel Peter (1) died aged "78" in 1936 [Death Index: Surrey N.E. 2a 171, 1936 (June)]; he was actually 77. More can be learned of him from his obituary published in a local newspaper.
The 1901 Census finds William Samuel (1) living with his parents and occupied as a wheelwright. He married in 1905 [Marriage Index: Richmond, S. 2a 910, 1905 (Dec)].
Edith Alice (1) died soon after birth [Death Index: Richmond, S. 2a 235, 1893 (June)].
May (1) also died soon after birth [Death Index: Richmond, S. 2a 226, 1896 (June)].